Skip to main content
#
Saints Cathedral COGIC
email usour facebook page
contact us
Our History
THE BEGINNING
THE BEGINNING

The Church of God In Christ was founded in Lake Charles in the year of 1920. Mr. George Holston, who resided in the 100 block of Franklin Street, opened his home to church workers who had come to the city. The workers were Sister Bell Wright, Sister Annie Washington, Sister Mary Williams and children, Sister Bessie Lyons, Brother Frank Rankins, and Minister Johnny Melton. Service was held in Holston’s home for a short time and then it moved to Railroad Avenue by the water tank. That was in the vicinity of what is now Railroad Avenue and First Avenue. It remained there for one night, and it moved to the 100 block of South Lyons Street in the home of a Mr. Sennette for a few nights. For the first two years the church was very mobile because it was meeting in homes that were open to them. From the home of Mr. Sennette, however, the Saints moved to the Old Moss building located at the corner of Haskell and Church Streets. This was the first building they rented to have church services, and it was here that the first pastor, Elder Frank Washington, was appointed. This was in the year of 1922. He had a small membership which included Mother Bessie Lyons, Sister Lizzy Martin, and Sister Orelia Williams. Brother John H. Parker was the first person to receive the Baptism of the Holy Ghost under Elder Washington pastorate. Other members were also added to the church. The church remained in this location for approximately one year. Moving from the Old Moss Building, the church was relocated at the corner of Railroad Avenue and Louisiana Avenue in a small brick building on the north side of the tracks. More persons became members of the fellowship. The congregation remained stationary for about nine months and then it moved to the Old Canning Factory at the corner of St. Joseph and Hutchins Streets (now North Ford and Fournet Streets.) It was here that Brother and Sister Charlie Hickman became members

THE TRANSITION YEARS
THE TRANSITION YEARS

On May 1, 1925, Elder Frank Washington, Charlie Hickman, Glass Johnson, and Roy Baker purchased land for the church. The land was located at the corner of Bonaparte and Hutchins Streets (now North Moss and Fournet Streets). In that same year Elder Washington passed away. Elder David Anderson was appointed pastor in 1926 and the church was moved to the corner of East Railroad Avenue and Shattuck Street. In 1927, Elder Ballard was appointed pastor and the church was relocated to the Old Canning Factory. Elder Claiborne Ealy became pastor of the church in 1928. Under his leadership the saints built a church on the land they had purchase in 1925. In 1935, Elder Ealy resigned from the pastorate of the church. Following Elder Ealy’s resignation, Elder James John Davis was appointed pastor in 1936. Under his 52 years of leadership, Bonaparte/ Moss Street Church of God In Christ experienced much growth. Supt. Davis lead the way to build a new church located at its present location of 1717 Moeling Street. It was erected on October 16, 1977 and the name was changed to Saints Memorial in memory of the saints who had labored in ministry. The church celebrated in a service for burning the mortgage on August 17, 1986.  Supt. J.J. Davis transitioned into eternal rest in September 1989. Bishop Roy L.H. Winbush was the overseer until 1991. 

FAITH FOR THE FUTURE
FAITH FOR THE FUTURE

In 1991, the Lord blessed Saints Memorial with Elder Ivanhoe Terry as pastor. Under the leadership of Superintendent Ivanhoe Terry, the church has experienced spiritual and congregational growth. The church has purchased and fully paid for land located to the east and west of the present church building. The church’s sanctuary went through two beautification renovations. In November of 2009, the church purchased the former Butterflies Daycare Center located at 1801 Moeling Street and currently using it as our Education and Development Center.  On June 5, 2013, Superintendent Ivanhoe Terry transitioned into eternal rest after 23 years of leadership. On August 6, 2014, Bishop Roy L.H. Winbush appointed Elder Michael Cuba, Jr. as Pastor. Under the current leadership of Pastor Cuba, the ministry is continuing to grow numerically and spiritually. In February 2016, the ministry incorporation name was officially changed to Saints Cathedral Church of God in Christ, building upon the foundation of the Saints who labored before and merging it with a new vision of maximum Kingdom impact. The church has established a (CDC) named Unified Hands Community Development Corporation to receive a wide-range of resources from partners to reach the total man.  The ministry is also in the process of cultivating an extended day and child development program for the community surrounding the church. In the near future, the church plans to retire any standing debt and build a new facility which will house the administrative offices, educational classrooms, multi-purpose fellowship hall, and in-reach/out-reach resources to better support the needs of the ministry. 

Exalting the Savior, Evangelizing the Lost, Equipping the Saints

©2019 Saints Cathedral Church of God in Christ
Physical: 1717 Moeling Street, Lake Charles, LA 70601 
Mailing: P.O. Box 3285, Lake Charles, LA 70602
PHONE: (337) 935-2300 OR 439-8680